Interesting Africa Facts
The purpose of this website is to provide interesting and useful facts about Africa. Information on such topics as the people of Africa, Africa landforms, African art history, African animals, African jewelry, and African clothing will be covered. Africa is the most interesting and diverse continent on the earth. It is the home of an incredible variety of people, animals, climates, and spectacular places. It is a country known for its beautiful colorful clothing and its history of incredible works of art. Africa is where human beings first appeared on earth and the home of the world's first great civilization, Egypt which dates back to 3300 BC. Below you will find a few lists of some interesting facts about Africa.
Interesting Africa Facts - People of Africa
- The African continent has the second largest population in the world, at about one billion people.
- Well over one thousand languages are spoken by the people of Africa. Some estimates put this number closer to two thousand.
- The largest religion in Africa is Islam, followed by Christianity.
- The African population is approximately 14.72% of the world's population (as of 2009).
- The oldest human remains ever discovered were found in Ethiopia. They are approximately 200,000 years old.
Interesting Africa Facts - Africa Landforms
- The longest river in the world, the Nile (4,132 miles), is located in Africa.
- Africa has the world's largest desert, the Sahara, which is almost the size of the United States.
- Victoria Falls is the largest waterfall in Africa; it is 355 feet high and one mile wide.
- Mount Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain on the continent. It towers over 19,300 feet, which is so tall that glaciers can be found at its summit even though the mountain is near the equator.
- Madagascar is the largest island in Africa and the fourth largest island in the world. It is in the Indian Ocean off the East coast of Africa.
Interesting Africa Facts - The continent
- Africa is the second largest continent on earth, approximately 11.7 million square miles.
- Africa straddles the equator and is the only continent to extend from the northern temperate zone to the southern temperate zone.
- Africa is the hottest continent on earth.
- Sudan is Africa's largest country (968,000 square miles).
- Africa covers 6 percent of the earth's total surface and 20.4 percent of the total land area.
- Cairo is the continents largest city.
- Long before humans were around (the early Mesozoic Era) Africa was joined to the other continents in a massive continent called Pangaea. Over millions of years this huge continent broke apart shaping the world landscape as we know it today.
Interesting Africa Facts - Animals
- The worlds largest land animal is the African elephant.
- The worlds tallest animal, the giraffe, lives in Africa.
- The fastest land animal in the world, the cheetah, lives in Africa.
- Africa is home to the worlds largest reptile, the Nile crocodile.
- The gorilla, which can be found in the continents jungles, is the worlds largest primate.
Explore the pages of this site to discover more about the amazing African continent.